Welcome to my blog on sewing machine stitchery. I have produced 3 tutorials that show you some simple but fun ways to use your sewing machine.


Crazy Patches is a variation on the crazy patchwork theme that has been handed down through the generations.

Mosaic is a modern version of crazy patchwork, using tiny pieces of fabric.

Reverse Applique is a variation on the theme of Reverse Appliqué. You may be familiar with the colourful reverse appliqués worked by Cuna Indian women.


Please read the introduction and before starting sections first.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Wall Hanging: Grand Kiddies Heights


This is a fun wall hanging for grandparents to measure the height of visiting grand kiddies.

The finished length is 112cms;
The finished width is 39cms;
The tape measure panel width (finished) is 10cms;
The tape measure has centimetres and inches on the same side.

The raw edge appliqué panel is composed of various coloured shapes cut from fabric using pinking shear scissors. These were then stitched in place to a coloured background using many rows of stitching. I chose a machine stitch that was of interest to me at that time. I encourage you to explore your sewing machine stitches.

The cut out foam hands and feet were stitched in place using hand stitches. The hands indicate name, height  & date when the measurement was taken.

Various beads and buttons were used to embellish the wall hanging.

A zig zag stitch was used to stitch the tape measure in place. I have not cut off the unwanted section of the tape, but have folded it over to the back of the wall hanging and held it in place with a safety catch. There may be a time when I change the position of the wall hanging, and then I will need to use this unwanted section of the tape to adjust the new position. The stitching of this tape commenced at the 50cms mark.

I used iron on wadding to add weight to the wall hanging.

My inspiration for this Grand Kiddies Height Wall Hanging came from an article How Tall Am I written by Yvonne Hender. This was published in the Innovative Machine Embroidery Textile Art magazine, volume 17 number 9.